Transfer of shares in a Dutch BV

In practice, a 'share split' involves a delivery of shares from one shareholder to another, also called a share transfer. In the Netherlands this takes place via a notarial deed. The notary needs the following documents:

  • the original shareholders register of the company (the original can be brought to the appointment);
  • the number of shares that will be sold and the purchase price thereof;
  • a balance sheet of the company, not older than 3 months;
  • explanation from a chartered accountant regarding the value of the shares (you should contact your accountant over this);
  • Finally, whether there is a change of management and / or a change of address.

A change of shareholder structure can lead to a changing majority in a company. For example when one of two equal partners (both own 50 percent of the shares), sells a part of his or her shares to the other partner.

Change of shareholder structure

One shareholder will in effect become the majority shareholder with the largest share in the company. The other partner will at that point still own a certain percentage of the company, which of course means he has something to say. Legally speaking he still has voting rights/power.

Most shareholders will have a shareholders' agreement in place to determine what will happen in this situation. For example, some clauses in the agreement might require an unanimous decision or a large (2/3) majority. In that case the majority shareholder will still need the partner on board for those decisions. This does not have to intervene with your daily operations, but you should be aware of the consequences.

Shareholders are a major-shareholder/director (or in Dutch: DGA) if they own more than 5% of the company and work for the company. You can together decide to make a new shareholders' agreement / rewrite the old one (same effect) to match the new situation. Furthermore, it important to know if the every director has single representation authority (i.e. any director can make legal decisions for the entire board) or if you have chosen joint representation authority.

Contact Us

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Visa for non-EU entrepreneurs coming to Europe

If you are an entrepreneur looking for ways to set up your business in Europe, there are several ways of achieving that. It is increasingly common to obtain a startup visa, but there are other ways too. Find an overview below. Do you even need a visa? Schengen Area: Many […]

Read More

Factoring for Businesses in the Netherlands

Expanding your business into the Netherlands and the wider EU presents exciting growth potential. However, navigating the financial landscape and managing working capital can introduce new challenges. Factoring is a valuable solution for many businesses, especially those originating from outside the Netherlands. What is Factoring? Factoring is a financial service […]

Read More

Types of Funding for your European Venture in 2024

There comes a moment in many European businesses’ lives when internal resources just aren’t enough. Fueling expansion, solidifying growth, or transforming that brilliant idea into reality needs external support. Selling equity for an investment can make sense, but there are several other ways of structuring it. Let’s quickly go through […]

Read More

The SAFE: A Simpler Way to Invest in Startups

The journey of a startup is fueled by innovation, but also by access to capital. In this fast-paced landscape, a financing mechanism gaining popularity is the SAFE. Here’s a breakdown of SAFEs, why they’re appealing, and the nuances to be aware of. What is a SAFE? A SAFE stands for […]

Read More


Hi there!

Click one of our contacts below to chat on WhatsApp

× Whatsapp us