Netherlands Euro Haulage License

niwo logo

Navigating the process of obtaining a Euro haulage license in the Netherlands can be a crucial step for businesses engaged in the commercial transport of goods. This article provides a comprehensive guide on the requirements, regulations, and application procedures to help you secure a license and stay compliant with the European Union's transportation laws. Join us as we explore the essential aspects of acquiring a Euro haulage license and set your business on the path to success in the transport industry.

Do I need a Euro haulage license?

In the Netherlands, a Euro haulage license, also known as a transport license, is required if your company is involved in the commercial transport of goods where the load capacity of the vehicle exceeds 500 kg.

In summary, you will need a Euro haulage license in the Netherlands if:

  1. Your company is involved in the commercial road transport of goods, either nationally or internationally.
  2. The vehicle you use for transportation has a load capacity of more than 500 kg.

If your company meets these criteria, you will need to apply for a Euro haulage license through the National and International Road Transport Organization (NIWO)

How does the process of the Euro haulage licence work?

The Euro haulage license application process in the Netherlands is overseen by the National and International Road Transport Organization (NIWO).

Here is the updated step-by-step guide to applying for a Euro haulage license through NIWO in the Netherlands:

  1. Register your company: Make sure your company is registered with the Dutch Chamber of Commerce (Kamer van Koophandel) and has a valid VAT number.
  2. Establish financial standing: Demonstrate financial stability by providing proof of sufficient funds for the last financial year. The minimum amount required varies depending on the number of vehicles you plan to operate. Check the NIWO website for the latest requirements.
  3. Professional competence: Obtain the necessary qualifications by passing the professional competence examination for road haulage, or appoint a qualified transport manager for your company.
  4. Good repute: You and your company's transport manager must have a clean criminal record and be in good standing with the Dutch authorities. This involves providing a Certificate of Good Conduct (VOG) for both the company owner and the transport manager.
  5. Complete the application form: Download and complete the Euro haulage license application form from the NIWO website. Make sure to provide all the required information and supporting documents.
  6. Pay the application fee: The application process requires a fee, which can be found on the NIWO website. This fee must be paid before your application can be processed.
  7. Submit your application: Send your completed application form, supporting documents, and proof of payment to the NIWO. You can submit your application by post or electronically via the NIWO website.
  8. Await the decision: The NIWO will review your application and make a decision within eight weeks. If your application is approved, you will receive your Euro haulage license.
  9. Maintain compliance: Once you have your license, it is crucial to maintain compliance with all relevant transport regulations, including vehicle maintenance, driver qualifications, and working hours.

Please note that the requirements and procedures may change over time. It is essential to consult the official NIWO website for the latest information and guidance.

Which documents do we need to get started?

What do we need:

  • Memorandum of association of the BV
  • Extract of the Chamber of Commerce (KvK)
  • Extract UBO (KvK)
  • Copy of all directors and UBOs
  • Bank statement from the beginning of the BV
  • With how many trucks/vans you want to start?
  • Professional freight transport certificate (EU 1071/2009)
  • Declaration of good conduct (VOG RP)

With these documents we can see if we need additional documents or not.

Transport manager and local director

It is important to know that setting up a company in the Netherlands with a transport manager living in the Netherlands is not necessarily enough to qualify fiscally as a Dutch company. If the orders for the drivers come from the another country ( such as the UK, then the Dutch Tax Authorities will see the company as a foreign company.

So at the start of your company that will mean no tax return for the VAT on your purchases. That means that as the owner, you will have to live in the Netherlands.

In our network we have several transport managers who can assist you. If you have a UK diploma under EU regulation 1071/2009 you do not need a transport manager. So if you are living for example living and working in the UK, you will need a general manager in the Netherlands, who is planning the trips and managing the trucks and the drivers.

Euro licence and share capital

You should think carefully about the amount of nominal share capital you choose when setting up a BV for which you want to have a Euro haulage licence. The nominal share capital is the amount of shares x the value per share. In a regular BV, we recommend keeping this low (for example 100 shares of 1 euro).

If you are applying for an Euro license, however, it's advisable for you to set the share capital at €4,000 plus an additional €5,000 for each truck you plan to use. Once you deposit this amount into the company's bank account, a solvency declaration can be issued on your behalf. Otherwise, you would need to make a supplementary capital contribution (agio), which could unnecessarily complicate matters both at the time of establishment and later at dissolution.

For instance, if you want to start with 4 trucks, you will need €24,000 in share capital for the BV. In case you use a BV holding structure, it can be wise for you to have the same arrangement in the Holding. If things go wrong, you will suffer a substantial share loss, which can be converted into a tax credit for your personal income tax (Box 1).

Get guidance with the Euro license

Ask one of our transport and logistics professionals for advice and guidance during this process.
These professionals are specialized in supporting haulage companies in setting up their business in the Netherlands. Their field of expertise is everything that has to do with regulations about your request for a Euro license at the NIWO.

Contact Us

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


Hi there!

Click one of our contacts below to chat on WhatsApp

× Whatsapp us